Even though the holiday season is almost completed, many people may find that their stress levels are still increased. According to the American Psychological Association, around 22 percent of Americans suffer from an extreme level of stress. This stress level is often much higher around the holidays, and can leave people looking and feeling drained, depressed and just not themselves. The good news is there are things that people can do to help combat this and stay looking and feeling great through the holidays, and all winter long.
“The holiday season and winter can be a drain on people,” explains Katherine Goldman, celebrity esthetician/waxologist and owner of the Stript Wax Bar. “It is important to make sure you take care of yourself throughout the winter, so you don’t end up feeling completely stressed out and drained.”
Here are some tips for looking and feeling your best throughout the holidays
and all winter long:
- Facials. When it comes to looking your best, opt for having facials done throughout the winter. This will help keep the skin looking fresh and healthy, despite any extra stress that may arise during these months. While having this done, see about taming your eyebrows so that they look great for those holiday pictures.
- Stay hydrated. The winter months can tend to be very drying on the skin, so it’s important to drink a lot of water to stay hydrated, as well as use a good quality skin moisturizer. With the colder weather, you can also keep your fluid intake up by having hot tea; just don’t load it up with sugar.
- Eat well. The holidays can be a busy time, making it even more important to eat a good diet so that the body gets proper nutrients and energy. A healthy diet will keep people feeling good all winter long. The winter months are notorious with people reaching for comfort foods, but many of them can lead to packing on the pounds. Opt for healthy soups and tasty vegetable casseroles for comfort. Rather than completely avoiding the goodies, stick to trying just a small portion so there are no regrets later.
- Keep moving. Getting enough exercise will not only help keep you looking good, but it will help you feel great, too. Exercise releases endorphins, which naturally brings about a happy and positive feeling. Consistent exercise will also help to reduce those stress levels as they creep up around the holidays. It’s tempting for people to be lax on exercising during the winter, but that will leave you feeling down.
- Relax. There may be parties and festivities to go to, but it’s important to get some down time, too. This includes taking time to unwind, relax, and get enough sleep each night.
“There will a lot of holiday pictures taken, so you want to look your best,” added Goldman. “You also want to feel great when you are enjoying those festivities, too. It’s important to take measures to help care for and maintain your insides and out, so you look and feel great all winter long.”
*Source: American Psychological Association. Making the most of the holiday season. http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/holiday-season.aspx